After my car went on a week-long journey to wherever, it is back. I do not wish this stress on anyone. The thieves get away and I get to pay for all the damages they’ve caused (still less expensive than a new car!).
What’s sweet though, is last night as we were waiting on a few car repairs to take place, my sister prayed. She prayed for the person(s) who stole my car. That people would come into their lives to be the light. It was a prayer for their well-being and for them to repent too. I’ve forgiven them, but forgiveness does not mean that there aren’t consequences to sin. There are and there should be. As much as I forgive them, I also, would like to know that they recognize how much hurt they caused.
Anyway here are a few ways to help a friend who has had their car stolen OR damaged:
- Offering rides is nice, but sometimes people don’t want to inconvenience their friends (even if this means paying extra for an Uber). So instead of saying, ‘let me know if you need a ride,’ ask, ‘what time should I pick you up tomorrow to take you to work/ the store/ ect?’ This isn’t asking, it’s basically telling them that you’re coming. What time would they like you to come over?
- Check their social media before asking questions- chances are they’ve posted the story there and don’t want to repeat it over and over and over and over. Constant texts can be overwhelming. Remember, you’re probably not the only one trying to contact them. (But DO text them that you’re thinking of them/keeping an eye out/ praying/ sending good thoughts/ ect…)
- Share whatever post they’ve posted about their stolen car. Maybe you live states away. Maybe you only have 5 friends. It still means the world.
- Find out what was stolen from the car and, if reasonable, buy them a replacement. I had a box of La Croix in my car… that the mean thief (thieves) drank. My friend bought me another box. The little things mean a lot.
- Don’t re-victimize them. Yes I know I should have made sure all four doors of my car were locked. I don’t need the reminder. Yes I shouldn’t have left my favorite new vest in the car. Yes I probably should have bought a steering wheel club years ago. Yes the crime in downtown ABQ is terrible, how dare I live here. BUT ALSO PEOPLE SHOULDN’T STEAL! I should be able to leave all my doors unlocked (I didn’t) and all my valuables in the car (I don’t) AND PEOPLE SHOULDN’T STEAL! I already have to pay for all the Ubers, any damages the person(s) caused, the towing, the everything which is a lot. That’s already punishing the victim again and again. I don’t need a lesson from friends right now- I got that from myself, the insurance, the police, and my parents. I’ve learned my lesson (my car does now have a steering wheel lock, and so much more)- just please agree it sucks.
The picture is of Nephew grabbing Lanay’s hair. I just love him so much. He makes each day better.